Reporting Pupil Absence
If your child is unable to attend school - for example because of illness - please contact the school before 9am by telephoning 01422 823353 (a message may be left if there is no answer early in the morning) or email email@example.com
Absence from school during term time
Amendments to the law which came into force 1 September 2013 mean that headteachers may not grant leave of absence for family holidays during term time. Therefore, if a child is absent because of a family holiday all absences in this period must be recorded as unauthorised. However, headteachers have discretion to grant leave of absence in exceptional circumstances.
Sowerby Bridge cluster schools have agreed the following guidelines in consultation with the Education Welfare Service with due regard to national guidance and judgements from local legal 'test' cases. Schools may grant leave of absence in the following circumstances;
- critical illness of immediate family
- when a parent is home on leave from the armed forces
- where a parent produces a bona fide letter from an employer which states that the parent can only take holiday leave between specific dates throughout the year
- where siblings are in schools with different holiday times
- a maximum of 3 days for a family wedding abroad of a close family member (including a day to travel each way). Anything more would be looked upon as a holiday.
- a maximum 1 day for a family wedding or funeral of a close family member in the UK. Where a parent is getting married, recent tests cases have suggested that either parent knows a child should legally be in school and therefore should make wedding arrangements within school holiday periods.
For more information, please ask advice from the school office. A penalty notice may be applied where absences are unauthorised. Thank you.